Quenching Spiritual Thirst

Receive
Today's passage: Jeremiah 15:1-21

“When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty.” Jeremiah 15:16


Reflect

How can Scripture quench my spiritual thirst?

Do I turn to the Bible even when I am discouraged and frustrated?
Do I have faith that God is good, even when my circumstances aren't?

Jeremiah didn't have an easy time of it. For 52 chapters we listen to him prophesize the same message over and over, a message that continued to fall on deaf ears. He urged his people to repent, to rid themselves of idols and false gods, and turn back to the one true God again and again--yet they never listened. Worse, they mocked him and imprisoned him, and still God asked Jeremiah to continue to prophesize the same message. No wonder he felt discouraged and frustrated; no wonder he doubted God's intentions and fell into despair. Yet through all his hardships, Jeremiah continued to return to God and His Word for comfort and sustenance. Despite everything, God's words still brought him joy and delight.

Respond

Ask for change: Lord, help me hear Your message of unwavering love and mercy as I read Your Word.


Consider what's real: Sometimes when we find ourselves in a spiritually dark place, we are tempted, like Jeremiah, to cry out to God in frustration and despair. That's okay. God values every kind of communication, even our cries of anger and hopelessness. After all, a cry of frustration to God is better than no communication at all. When we find ourselves mired in this kind of despair, it's helpful to return to a favorite passage in the Bible, to remind ourselves of His goodness and love. Keep these special verses top of mind, so that you can return to them in a time of need to find His peace and joy again. Or try memorizing a couple of key verses that you can repeat to yourself as a mantra of hope when you need it.

Additional verses to consider: Psalm 23, Romans 15:13. 

Ron Moore


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Your True Purpose

The Teeter - Totter Syndrome

The God Who Saves